Dandruff is an irritating condition where flaky skin comes off the scalp causing serious psychological and social discomfort. An anti dandruff treatment requires a systemic comprehensive approach, which takes into account external influences, disorders of the human body and local processes that contribute to the development of this pathology. The anti dandruff shampoo reviews down further indicate the best dandruff shampoo for men and women. There are multiple medicated anti dandruff shampoo options combining both hygienic and therapeutic functions. The strongest dandruff shampoo is the most effective with all the necessary compomnents to cure the uncomfortable promblem as quickly as possible.
In this article, we will discuss:
- Causes of Dandruff
- How to Choose a Therapeutic Anti-Dandruff Shampoo
- The Main Components of Anti-Dandruff Shampoos
- Top 10 Best Anti-Dandruff Shampoos
Causes of Dandruff
There may be many causes of this unpleasant condition, the main causes include a yeast-like fungus, multiplying in the case of hormonal surges, poor nutrition, stress, significant fatigue. In addition, dandruff may appear due to:
- Deficiency of certain components in the body, especially selenium, zinc, iron, B vitamins
- Skin, liver, gastrointestinal tract, lung diseases
- Problems with the protective functions of the body, i.e. immunity
- Improperly sterilized instruments at a barbershop
- Excessive sweating
- Improper cosmetic product for shampooing
- Smoking, excessive sweet and fatty foods
You will know the main cause of seborrheic dermatitis and dandruff if you consult a trichologist or a dermatologist.
How to Choose a Therapeutic Anti-Dandruff Shampoo
Using a specific shampoo to treat the problem is one of the easiest ways to deal with seborrheic dermatitis. Therapeutic shampoos include agents having:
- Topical fungicidal effect (antifungal)
- Bactericidal properties (inhibiting the development of pathogenic microorganisms)
- Anti-inflammatory effect
- Keratoregulating effect (eliminating excessive cornification and desquamation of the epithelium)
From many antifungal topical medications, preference is given to those that have the ability to accumulate through layers of the skin, where the fungal process develops. They do not penetrate deeper, where there are no conditions for the development of these microorganisms.
Note that antiseborrheic agents must not comprise any aggressive surfactants. They include perfumes, SLS, SLES, parabens, and other components. These not only irritate the surface of the scalp but also lead to unpleasant diseases.
The Main Components of Anti-Dandruff Shampoos
Creating antidandruff shampoos, all manufacturers add special components. You will find one of the following components in any shampoo of any brand:
- Zinc pyrithione is the most common antimicrobial and antifungal agent. It is highly active against yeast-like fungi and inhibits the development of gram-positive and gram-negative microorganisms.
- Octopirox, or piroctone olamine. Its chemical structure is similar to the DNA of microorganisms. Penetrating into the cells of fungi, mold, and microorganisms, it changes their functions, leading to disruption of the cell metabolism, delayed development and reproduction. The drug has a special effect on the skin propionibacteria, the excessive development of this contributes to the formation of dandruff, irritation, and pruritus.
- Ketoconazole and clotrimazole inhibit biosynthetic reactions of cell membranes and alter the lipid composition of the membrane of yeast and oval yeast-like fungi, located on the scalp. They slow down the reproduction and kill these microorganisms.
- Ciclopirox is a synthetic drug, damaging the walls of cells and cellular structures of fungi of the genus Pityrosporum, M. Globosa, and M. Restricta, led to them to die 3 minutes after the start of its impact. The drug also has a strong anti-inflammatory effect due to inhibition of the synthesis of leukotrienes and prostaglandins. Furthermore, ciclopirox is active against many types of gram-positive and gram-negative microorganisms.
- Ichthyol, which contains sulfonic acids and is a derivative of shale rock. It has anti-inflammatory, antiseptic, keratolytic (peeling), and inhibiting the development of keratinocytes effects.
- Salicylic acid inhibits the function of sweat and sebaceous glands; it is characterized by antimicrobial and faint fungicidal properties. In high concentrations, it also has a keratolytic effect, and in low concentrations, it promotes epithelial regeneration and reduces inflammation.
The best anti-dandruff shampoo is a product that, corresponding to the requirements listed above, includes a combination of ingredients that have an active impact on microorganisms and pathogenic aspects of the development of seborrheic dermatitis.
Top 9 Best Anti Dandruff Shampoos
In the ranking of the most effective therapeutic shampoos, the leading positions are occupied by the following 10 options:
The antidandruff shampoo Neutrogena immediately attracts the attention of the consumer with its stylish, transparent bottle and carton package. There are several types of this shampoo, all designed for specific hair types — normal, dry, prone to oiliness, as well as for dry hair and prone to having an irritated scalp. The shampoo has a dense consistency; it is dark brown, it resembles liquid honey, it has a strong smell of birch tar. The shampoo foams well, 15-20 ml of this product is enough for a single shampooing.
Effect of active substances:
- Salicylic acid (T-Sal shampoo). Perfectly selected, depending on the condition of the scalp, concentration of the salicylic acid helps reduce sebum. It is known that the sebaceous excretion is a breeding ground for pathogenic microorganisms that cause dandruff and seborrhea. The salicylic acid gently dries the scalp, narrows pores, and also has a disinfecting effect that helps prevent inflammations on the scalp.
- Birch tar (composing T-Gel shampoo) is a proven product for the treatment of various inflammatory processes. Due to the presence of tar, the antidandruff shampoo Neutrogena soothes an irritated scalp and relieves itching. Also, birch tar moisturizes the skin and makes the hair smooth and silky.
It is noteworthy that Neutrogena antidandruff shampoo can be used even by people with a healthy scalp if they want to accelerate hair growth. The fact is that salicylic acid affects the scalp as light peeling — it exfoliates the dead skin cells. This amplifies the nutrition of the hair follicles that stimulates hair growth.
To get rid of dandruff, which is the result of intensive multiplication of lipophilic yeast fungi Malassezia furfur, normally living on the skin of almost every healthy person, special medicated shampoos based on ketoconazole are used. The anti-dandruff shampoo Nizoral is one of the most proven topical medications. It contains an active substance that inhibits the overgrowth of harmful fungi that provoke the development of seborrheic dermatitis and tinea versicolor.
The anti-seborrheic Nizoral Shampoo not only cleans the hair, but it is also a medication. It reduces symptoms and fights the causes of the disease, destroying pathogenic fungi. To study the effectiveness of Nizoral for scalp and hair in the treatment of dandruff and seborrheic dermatitis, 64 clinical studies have been conducted. Excellent results have been confirmed about this medicated anti dandruff shampoo by stable positive consumer reports.
Indications for use: medical antidandruff shampoo NIZORAL®, unlike cosmetic hair cleansers, used in the treatment of seborrheic dermatitis and eliminating or weakening only the symptoms of the disease, impacts directly on the etiological factor of the disease. After the elimination of the causes of dandruff, physiological processes and microcirculation in the scalp improve, inflammations and itching are reduced.
The above dosage scheme is designed, based on the instructions to the drug.
This shampoo fights dandruff greatly; moreover, it ensures not only fast, but also long results and a anti-recurrent effect up to six weeks. It is designed for oily hair and an irritated scalp, which is prone to flaking and inflammations.
This cosmetic product will cleanse your hair intensively and nourish it with nutrients, and it is able to restore the hair structure. It has a beneficial effect on the scalp, improving its condition, due to which dandruff disappears, and the hair acquires a well-groomed appearance. The aroma of peppermint gives a feeling of freshness and lightness.
The effectiveness of the shampoo is due to the unique formula, which combines the powerful active ingredients. So, selenium disulfide inhibits the expansion of fungi, provoking the appearance of dandruff, while the barrier-protective functions of the skin are increased.
It is clinically proven, that visible dandruff disappears after the first application. After four weeks of regular use of this shampoo, the problem will be solved completely, the hair will be healthy and soft.
Dove brand belongs to the British-Dutch company, one of the world leaders in the market of food and household chemicals (including perfumes). Today, it is the second in the world in terms of sales.
Hair strengthening antidandruff shampoo Dove effectively cleanses hair, removes dandruff and makes the hair healthy and attractive. This is because of the formula of ingredients that actively influence not only the hair but also the scalp, preventing more dandruff to form with each application.
Special ingredient Zinc Pyrithione helps eliminate up to 100% dandruff so that your hair and clothes will look great. The shampoo also contains ultra-lightweight oils, which immediately penetrate into the hair structure, helping to restore the natural balance of moisture and nutrients.
SELSUN shampoo contains selenium sulfide 2,5% and helps to cope with dandruff, seborrheic dermatitis, shingles, as well as tinea versicolor (white spots from the sun or solarium).
The formula of SELSUN antidandruff shampoo is based on the active dermatological component — selenium sulfide, which has a unique ability to provide a direct effect on the main cause of dandruff — yeast fungus Pityrosporum Ovale.
Selenium sulfide is the only antidandruff component, which has a triple effect:
- Cytostatic — it regulates the process of renovation of the epidermis cells by improving the function of the sebaceous glands.
- Fungicidal — it inhibits the growth of yeast of the genus Pityrosporum Ovale and destroys the environment, which is ver helpful for its excessive reproduction.
- Keratolytic — it normalizes the exfoliation of dead cells of the epidermis and prevents the appearance of dandruff.
Therefore, SELSUN anti-dandruff shampoo fights five causes of dandruff at the same time:
- Impaired function of the sebaceous glands, namely enhanced production of sebum.
- Decreases the protective properties of the scalp and the development of a breeding ground for excessive reproduction of yeast, the genus Pityrosporum Ovale.
- Decomposition of sebum under the influence of enzymes, released in the process of vital activity of fungi, and the production of externally derived toxins.
- Promotes the formation of epidermal cells, the reduction of their life cycle and the premature die-away.
- And, as a consequence, intensive exfoliation of dead cells of the epidermis, i.e. dandruff.
American specialists of Biolage have developed a powerful product to effectively fight this problem — antidandruff shampoo with citric acid and piroctone olamine. This a professional product for the hair and scalp; Biologe Antidandruff Shampoo provides the utmost care, efficiently removing dandruff for a long period of time. It perfectly cleanses the hair and makes it soft and shiny. Citric acid narrows pores, removes excess oil from the scalp, and soothes it. Piroctone olamine has antimicrobial and cytotoxic properties. It is active against the microorganisms that cause dandruff, preventing their multiplication, while relieving itching and irritation.
The shampoo formula supports the normal balance of the scalp, it makes hair clean, shiny, and light, it allows you to forget about dandruff.
The shampoo “Fructis Anti-Dandruff 2-in-1” is based on the formula with zinc pyrithione, so its effect is noticeable after the first application. The shampoo for normal hair contains zinc pyrithione, which effectively fights dandruff and prevents its reappearance within 6 weeks after the first washing. It ensures easy combing without tangling the hair.
The active components of the shampoo ensure gentle removal of dirt from the hair and scalp while maintaining the integrity of the lipid layer. It moisturizes and nourishes the hair follicles with vitamins and microelements. It stimulates the regeneration of the scalp cells and significantly improves the growth of hair. It leaves a feeling of absolute purity and freshness after washing. It has a pleasant smell.
Vitamins B3 + B6 fill your hair with energy from the roots to the tips. An active concentrate of fruits strengthens the hair structure from within.
It is not enough to eliminate the unpleasant visual effect in order to get rid of dandruff, it is important to restore the health of the scalp and hair. This is what this effective Anti-Dandruff shampoo from L`Oreal Proffesionnel deals with. L`Oreal is a popular brand for a reason, providing high quality products to combat multiple beauty matters, L`Oreal is also on our ranking as one of the best skin whitening creams for 2016.
Thanks to L`Oreal shampoo, your hair will again become manageable and you will get rid of unpleasant itching and the feeling of tightness.
It removes dandruff, fights itching of the scalp and restores its lipid balance, heals the hair roots after the first application. The shampoo is made using a unique alpha-Piriton technology, which contains zinc peri thione to fight dandruff and alpha-bisabolol to eliminate itching and unpleasant skin sensations.
Thanks to the balanced composition, developed by the scientists of L`Oreal laboratory, this shampoo gently cleanses the hair and scalp, keeping your hair clean and moisturized for a long time. The shampoo fights oily hair and effectively cures the disorders of the hair structure, nourishing and smoothing them. The hair becomes soft, elastic and shiny. It is easy to comb and style, retaining purity, freshness and being well-groomed.
This mild cleansing shampoo is used for all hair types and helps get rid of dandruff and improves the quality of hair over the entire length. It is recommended by the association of dermatologists as a non-allergenic safe product. The active formula ActiZinc, enriched with vitamin E, helps to restore the natural balance of the epidermis, removing dryness and irritation of the skin. The shampoo cleanses the skin and hair from keratinized particles and gives a noticeable volume.
The shampoo has a dense, easy foaming consistency that coats the hair over the entire length and makes it fresh and healthy to the tips. This anti-dandruff shampoo is refreshing and smells wonderful. It fills your hair with freshness for a long time.
You can find the best anti-dandruff shampoo for you only through trial and error. Choose the best remedy for your hair and strike others with your beauty!