Hair loss and slow hair growth are constant problems for many women. In this article, we will discuss in detail about the shampoos that may serve as a beneficial preventive treatment of hair loss and stimulate hair growth. However, they are still not a guaranteed solution to these problems alone.
Let’s investigate the situation on the shampoos consumer market today; what shampoos are the best for the given problems?
This article covers the following points:
- What to Look for when Choosing a Shampoo
- Chemicals in Shampoos: What to Avoid?
- How to Reduce the Harmful Effects of Chemicals in the Shampoo?
- Top 5 Hair Treatment Shampoos
What to Look for when Choosing a Shampoo
Today shampoo is the main means of hair washing. There are a lot of shampoo varieties, and advertising keeps saying that it is exactly their shampoo that is the best, and if you use it, your hair will look like one of the magazine cover models. Many believe in this and buy what is advertised. However, this advertising is often not very fair, because many shampoos are simply not effective.
So, are there actually any substances that promote hair growth? If yes, in what shampoos are they contained? How to find the one that is perfect for you?
Before we answer these questions, it’s important to understand the individual characteristics of your organism as a whole and some rules to keep in mind:
- Any shampoo will not help, for someone suffering from a skin disease that contributes to hair loss
- It is necessary to keep a balanced diet
- Hair loss can occur due to diseases and disorders of the internal organs and body systems.
- It is necessary to avoid stressful situations
- It is essential to refrain from chemical hair procedures (such as perming and frequent dying).
- Protecting your hair from external harmful impact is crucial (extremely hot dryer).
Additional advice of professional stylists:
If you are faced with the problem of hair loss, follow these recomendations:
- Shampoo with silicone. Using a shampoo with the component of silicone envelops each hair literally, protecting it from harmful effects of the environment, free radicals, as well as heating or drying during styling. It’s still hard to say whether these shampoos are useful in the case of hair loss. One thing is clear: even if don’t prevent hair loss, they definitely take care of the hair you already have.
- Sulfate free shampoos. These are often the healthiest and safest shampoos. They do not loosen the hair shafts; they contain natural ingredients that strengthen the hair follicles, providing a healthy hair look. They help to stop the hair loss in general (if we are not talking about the hormonal disorders or other complex problems that cannot be solved using any shampoo). Their only drawback is the fact that sometimes they are not able to make your hair completely clean, especially after using hair spray or other styling cosmetics.
- Shampoo with Aminexil or other specially designed drugs. In particular, Aminexil has a therapeutic effect, it revives the follicles and stimulates the growth of inactive follicles (including areas of baldness).
Also, you should be aware that any shampoo may contain the harmful components. Let’s consider what to keep an eye out for when choosing the right shampoo to improve the condition of your hair.
Chemicals in Shampoos: What to Avoid?
Shampoos contain various harmful components that may accumulate in the body and cause harm to human health in general. They may cause allergic reactions, trigger aging, lead to nervous disorders and cardiovascular diseases. Despite this, these substances cannot be excluded from the modern shampoo compositions, as without them cosmetics would simply lose their properties. Actually, the human body is capable of self-cleaning, and in most cases, health problems don’t begin until the immune system is disrupted. Choosing the right shampoo may help reduce the risk of harmful effects and for this, it is necessary to know how this or that ingredient may adversely affect your health.
The most harmful shampoo components are detergents. They are surface-active substances with good cleaning properties. They foam effortlessly, making it easy to clean the hair efficiently by removing various types of dust and grease. Below is the list of detergents in order of the harmful influence:
- Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate;
- Ammonium Laureth Sulfate;
- Sodium Lauryl Sulfate;
- Sodium Laureth Sulfate;
- TEA Lauryl Sulfate;
- TEA Laureth Sulfate.
The first three substances, as a rule, are the components of cheap shampoos. They are recognized as carcinogens. They penetrate the skin easily, accumulate in the body, and in the case of immune system disorders they may cause health problems. If you see them in the composition of your cosmetics, you are better to throw these products into the garbage.
The latter two substances, in most cases, are used in expensive shampoos. They are much less harmful. Manufacturers always specify the type of detergent, which is included in the shampoo. Its name in the list of the components on the label is usually the first. Since detergents may dry your hair, depriving it of vitality, these shampoos also include various softeners that make hair manageable. That is, they are able to neutralize the negative effects of detergents to some extent. Therefore, your shampoo composition should necessarily include:
- Сocamidopropyl Betaine — it is compatible with other components; it acts as a light conditioner and it is antistatic. It is used in baby shampoos and considered the expensive component.
- Decyl polyglucose — it reduces the irritant effect of aggressive cleaners, making it suitable for sensitive skin. This component is extracted from corn and coconut.
- Glycereth Cocoate;
- Disodium Cocoamphodiacetate;
- Cocoamidopropyl Sulfo Betaine.
This component is always found in modern shampoos. It is the preservatives that retain its properties and inhibit the growth of microorganisms, which may trigger allergies. However, not all preservatives are harmless. Preservatives may include:
- Formaldehyde. This substance is a carcinogen; however, it is widely used in shampoos as a preservative. Formaldehyde is toxic and it may adversely affect the organs of vision and respiratory system, as well as worsen the condition of the users’ skin. Here are the names used for the Formaldehyde:
- DMDM Hydantoin Diazolidinyl urea
- Imidazalidol urea
- Sodium hydroxymethyl glycinate
- Monosodium salt
- N-(Hydroxymethyl) glycine
- Parabens. They are the preservatives that inhibit the growth of microorganisms. Parabens may cause allergies. Accumulating in tissues, they can disrupt the hormonal balance and cause the development of malignant tumors. Parabens include:
- Sodium benzoate and Benzoic acid — this is a natural preservative found in lingonberries and cranberries. It is used in the food industry (Е211);
How to Reduce the Harmful Effects of Chemicals in Shampoo?
To minimize the risk of hair damage from the harmful ingredients in cosmetics, you need to wash your hair properly. We recommend:
- Before using shampoo, use a special protecting oil that is suitable for your hair type (olive, avocado, jojoba, castor, coconut, wheat germ, grape seed, and other oils.)
- Before washing, your hair should be thoroughly moistened; each hair should be saturated with water. It will prevent surfactants from penetrating into your hair, destroying it.
- You should wash the shampoo out thoroughly after each application, which will ensure that no particles remain on the hair and do not destroy its structure.
Top 5 Hair Treatment Shampoos
It is believed that healthy hair grows at the rate of about one centimeter per month. Using the right shampoos, may enhance hair growth, make it stronger and healthy looking, glowing and silky. Furthermore, medicated shampoos are able to help you forget about hair loss. Thus, here are the most popular shampoos with these properties:
- Schwarzkopf Bonacure Hair Activator Shampoo
- L’Oreal Paris Fall Repair Anti-Hair Fall Shampoo
- Dove Repair Therapy
- Pantene Pro-V “Full and Strong”
- Himalaya Herbals Anti-hair Fall Shampoo
Let’s consider each alternative in more detail.
Schwarzkopf Bonacure Hair Activator Shampoo
The German brand has introduced the “Schwarzkopf Bonacure Hair Activator shampoo”. It is a professional hair care product, activating hair growth. Bonacure products provide all the necessary nutrition for the hair roots and stimulate hair growth.
As it’s known, over time hair falls out and needs extra care. Bonacure Shampoo is able to cleanse the hair and scalp perfectly while nourishing and infusing the epidermis cells with the necessary substances and stimulating their growth.
It is proved that in a period of rest (telogen), the hair stops growing, and eventually the hair gradually starts falling out. After that, the growth cycle resumes. And so it goes on all the time after time. Each hair follicle goes through several such cycles. The given system against hair loss reduces the death of hairs in the telogen phase, which means that they are preserved for a longer period. It is the basic principle of these innovative products.
- Taurine — a natural substance that stimulates energy and promotes growth.
- Carnitine tartrate — bioactive stimulant. Its mission is the delivery of nutrients to the hair roots.
- The combination of active substances (disodium cocoamphodiacetate and sodium Laureth sulfate) that cleanses the hair and scalp and prepare the follicles.
- Panthenol — it is a vitamin known for its nourishing properties, it nourishes and supports the moisture level of the scalp.
- The result of the application — excellent appearance, activation of follicles, which in turn prevents premature hair loss.
How to Use:
- Apply on wet hair and scalp with gentle massage movements.
- Leave on hair for 1-2 minutes.
- Wash out thoroughly.
- Apply hair conditioner and a serum.
The shampoo activates the hair roots and reduces hair loss, increasing hair density and thickness.
It is designed for people with non-pathological hair loss.
L’Oreal Paris Fall Repair Anti-Hair Fall Shampoo
L’Oreal Paris offers a respectable shampoo, which is called L’Oreal Paris Fall Repair Anti-Hair Fall Shampoo. This product is designed for weak hair that is prone to falling out.
L’Oreal Paris Arginine Strength is the first range of hair care products with a triple strength. Its formula includes a revolutionary ingredient — arginine, which:
- nourishes the hair follicle;
- strengthens the hair roots;
- recovers the hair fiber.
- The hair grows better.
- The hair is strong from the roots to tips.
How to use: apply to wet hair, massage, then wash off. In the case of contact with eyes, rinse immediately with water.
Dove Repair Therapy
The world-renowned brand presents Dove Repair Therapy shampoo.
Dove Shampoo “Intensive Repair” will make even the driest hair silky, soft, and smooth. And the most importantly — it will assist in stopping “hair loss”. For best results, we recommend using it along with the Repair therapy hair balm and mask.
- restores hair follicles at the cellular level;
- it contains micro serum that helps moisturize hair intensively;
- after using this shampoo, hair loss in women is reduced by 97%;
- cleans the scalp effectively;
- hair becomes smooth, soft, and alive;
- pleasant smell that is the characteristic of all Dove products;
- hair combs easily.
- intensive moisturizing hair can cause quicker grease;
- in individual cases, some women experience dandruff due to incompatibility with some components.
Despite the disadvantages, many ladies have experienced a really impressive effect on their hair; they noticed their hair to be more strengthened and moisturized after using the shampoo 3-4 times.
Pantene Pro-V “Full and Strong”
The world-renowned brand offers series of cosmetics Pantene Pro-V “Full and Strong” to deal with problematic hair. A new collection of Pantene Pro-V with an advanced formula combats hair damage, giving it thickness and strength. The products of this collection comprise a set of pro-vitamins, including the legendary B5, as well as a unique “beauty vitamin” B7, which is confirmed by the Swiss Vitamin Institute and first became a part of the Pantene Pro-V formula. The emblem of the Institute, which appeared on the product packaging, it is a sign of quality you can trust.
Hair becomes stronger and thicker even after the first application of Pantene Pro-V products. The collection includes shampoo, conditioner balm, intensive hair mask, and a spray for an immediate boost to the density of hair.
- Pantene Pro-V Shampoo gently cleanses and nourishes your hair. It includes a unique patented Pro- V complex.This shampoo is a perfect hair care basic product. It does not contain silicones. It is composed of polymers that are based on fiber.
- Pantene Pro-V Conditioner nourishes the hair and makes it stronger without weighing it down. This is possible thanks to the innovative Pro-V formula, as well as amino silicone and BTMS complex in the composition. After using the conditioner your hair looks more dense and healthy.
- Pantene Pro-V Intensive Hair Mask is enriched with Pro-V Complex. It makes your hair more thick and strong. The mask contains 3 times more reinforcing ingredients compared with a conditioner and restores hair in only 2 minutes.
- Pantene Pro- V “Instant Thickness Enhancer Spray” gives the hair density and volume without making it feel heavy. Its formula is a mix of ingredients for hair care and styling. The product contains panthenol and glycerin that moisturize the hair, as well as the soft polymers, filling thin hair with strength, lifting its roots making it look thicker and more voluminous.
Pantene Pro- V Instant Thickness Enhancer Spray is the first Pantene Pro-V product that includes B7 vitamin in addition to Pro-V B5 complex which is contained in all Pantene Pro-V products. B7 vitamin plays an important role in hair strengthening and hair growth stimulation.
Himalaya Herbals Anti-Hair Fall Shampoo
Especially for the weak and thinning hair, Himalayan Herbal experts have created a shampoo that is able to combat hair loss effectively. This unique shampoo cleanses your hair gently, protecting it, and improving the health of your strands as quickly as possible, while giving them vitality and stimulating hair growth.
Anti-Hair Fall shampoo cosmetic formula is designed in such a way that it is able to act simultaneously in several ways. Thanks to extracts of Butea monosperma and jasmine grandiflorum, it improves the metabolism and blood circulation in the scalp to activate the hair follicles. To this, the shampoo has moisturizing, softening, and restorative properties.
By regularly using this product rapidly, your helps your hair become shiny, strong and thick; hair loss slows down and hair growth enhances. It is suitable for all hair types, including dyed and permed hair.
How to use: apply a small amount of shampoo on wet hair with your hands and lather. Massage your hair and scalp gently, then rinse it with water. For the best results, complete your hair care with a hair recovery conditioner of the same line.
Thus, we have considered the most effective shampoos that are able to help you solve the problem of hair loss. These shampoos are also able to stimulate hair growth. However, the shampoo still needs to be chosen individually — one may be perfect for you, but useless for your friend. So, choosing the right shampoo requires trial and error.