Hyperpigmentation (post-acne) represents a change in skin color, the appearance of red and brown spots after acne. Typically, they appear in the absence of proper treatment and disinfection of acne at the very beginning of its occurrence, as well as because of the advanced process. In addition, the post-acne spots can remain on the face skin as a result of being squeezed.
The formation of spots on the skin occurs due to increased synthesis of melanin in the course of skin inflammation. Skin discoloration after acne is temporary, it disappears with time. However, the intensity of the spot color and the timing of its disappearance depends on the depth of inflammation. Usually, acne of moderate to severe forms remains stagnant spots and red spots after pimples and blackheads. They usually disappear on their own within a year.
To get rid of the effects of acne as quickly as possible, you do not have to go to a beauty salon and pay a lot of money for the procedures, which may not necessarily help you. There are numerous recipes for home remedies that will surely accelerate the process of cleansing the skin of post-acne.
In this article, we will consider the following:
- How Long will it take to Remove the Spots & Heal the Scars?
- Types of Post-Acne Scars
- General Tips for Getting Rid of the Effects of Acne
- Mono-Products for Removing Post-Acne
- Mask Recipes for Post-Acne
- Essential Oils for Post-Acne
- Recipes of Scrubs
- Recipes of Home Tonics and Lotions
How Long will it take to Remove the Spots & Heal the Scars?
They may be removed within a few days to a year and a half, depending on the type of the skin, regenerating properties, your lifestyle, the nature of the spot and the depth of pigmentation, as well as the product, by which this spot will be removed. For example, if you squeeze pimples or perform mechanical cleaning, the spots are characterized by damage to the skin, so they are usually removed within several days to several weeks. It is impossible to say more precisely. In the case of deep and persistent spots, peeling or laser skin resurfacing may remove them in a few months or half a year.
To speed up the healing process and to remove the scars as soon as possible, you can use effective homemade recipes.
Types of Post-Acne Scars
These are the different types of post-acne scars:
- Atrophic — they resemble a small rectangular or oval hole. It usually has the color of the skin. This type is divided into rounded, chipped and rectangular scars.
- Physiological — they are almost invisible on the skin and are healed quickly.
- Keloid — they cause itching and other pain, they look like hypertrophic scars. They are rarely formed on the surface of the face.
- Hypertrophic — they are convex, they represent pink thick formations. They appear because of an enormous amount of scar tissue.
Despite the fact that there are a variety of methods and procedures to remove the post-acne, used at beauty salons, it is a good to use home remedies. All proposed methods are based on natural products that are used in everyday life. These products are simple, and it is even easier to employ.
General Tips for Getting Rid of the Effects of Acne
Many people want to get rid of scars on the face as quickly as possible and make mistakes that do not lead to their disappearance, but rather to their rapid growth. To avoid this, learn to care for the skin, which is affected with post-acne, properly.
- Never squeeze new pimples. It is very difficult to fully squeeze the sebum on your own, and active formation of new acne will begin in its place. Plus there is a risk that you will damage the skin, and more scars will appear.
- Be sure to completely remove your makeup, it is better to do this as soon as you come home, and it is essential to do this before bedtime. This is the way you let your skin breathe and help it maintain a normal metabolism.
- There is no need to wash your face frequently because it washes away all the protective barriers of the skin. Cosmetologists say — if you want to cleanse the skin and give it a chance to breathe, it is enough to wash your face 2-3 times a day, especially with the use of special cleaning agents.
- Tone your skin with the help of cosmetic ice — brew a bag of green tea with a glass of boiling water, let it cool, pour the tea into molds and store it in the freezer. Wipe your face in the morning and in the evening. Wiping with ice cubes should be performed as often as possible — thus, you will gradually whiten the problem areas. Over time, pigmented spots from acne will disappear forever. In addition, the cold has a positive effect on blood vessels; you will get rid of fine wrinkles, which will further improve the appearance of your facial skin.
Post-acne treatment involves a mandatory daily cleaning facial routine, i.e. removing cosmetics, sweat secretions, and dust. You have to wash your face twice a day, as well as in the case of contamination of the skin (especially in summer time). The water should be warm or cool; hot water opens the pores, which contributes to their rapid contamination. In the case of the problematic skin, cosmetologists recommend washing your face with specially prepared pure water.
In addition to the general advice, we recommend you to pay your attention to home remedies to get rid of the effects of acne.
Mono-Products for Removing Post-Acne
Mono-products include products, which save the skin from the effects of acne on their own, without the need of being mixed with other components. They include:
- Lemon Juice. Wipe your damaged skin with lemon juice or simply cut the lemon into two halves and gently rub it onto the skin. Everyone knows that the beneficial properties of lemon help not only to get rid of scars but also to purify the skin.
- Tomato Juice. You need to prepare fresh juice from tomatoes and put it on the affected areas, where the scars are located. This juice will also help improve the functions of the skin pores.
- Cucumbers. It is necessary to put cucumber gruel on your face for 15 minutes. Then rinse your face with cold water. This method is very effective in removing dark spots after acne.
- Bananas. Mash a banana and it on the affected areas. Leave the mixture on your face for about 7-10 minutes. Then wash the skin well with cold water.
- Sandalwood. Sandalwood paste is one of the most effective products to get rid of acne scars. It is necessary to soak the powder of the sandalwood in water overnight. Then put this paste on the affected areas of the skin and leave on your face for 10 minutes, allow it to dry. Then wash it away with cold water. You can make exactly the same paste with milk or rose water.
- Seeds of Fenugreek. Besides the fact that fenugreek seeds can treat various diseases, they also help to remove post-acne spots. Add some water to fenugreek seeds, about 750 ml. Boil for 5 minutes. Then wait until the brew is cooled. Wash your face and any other affected areas with the resulting liquid. After a short time, you will notice some improvement. To enhance the effect, repeat this procedure at least 1-2 times a day.
- Parsley. Chop the parsley and pour it with 200 ml of boiling water. Leave the brew to infuse for half an hour. Then pour it into molds for ice. This brew should be used every day for 2-3 months, in the morning and in the evening.
- Vinegar. It is necessary to dilute 1 tbsp. of vinegar in 3 tbsp. of water. This mixture should be frozen in molds for ice. Then, wipe the face with this ice every day. To remove old spots from the face, soak a piece of gauze in acetic solution and put it on the face for 5-7 minutes. Repeat this procedure every other day for the best effect.
Mask Recipes for Post-Acne
Homemade masks for post-acne are an essential point in the treatment of the effects of acne. Below are the best post-acne masks:
- Oatmeal Mask. Mix 2 tbsp. of crushed oatmeal (using a blender) with 1 beaten egg white; add a few drops of lemon juice. Put the resulting mixture on the cleansed skin for 20 — 30 minutes, and then wash it off with warm water. The mask should be applied 2 times a week at night.
- Cinnamon & Honey Mask. Mix cinnamon and honey in equal proportions (1 teaspoon of each), apply the mixture for 20 minutes, and then wash off with water.
- Clay Mask. The mask of black and white clay, flavored with a tablespoon of lemon juice or tea tree oil, will help the affected skin areas. Put the mixture on cleansed skin for 20 minutes. Rinse the face with warm water; do not forget to apply a nourishing cream. This mask applied twice a week, will perfectly cope with stagnant spots after removal of blackheads. Any microinflammation will be healed and disinfected by the action of the aromatic oil, and the mineral clay will bleach the skin, removing redness.
- Strawberry Mask. Strawberries have an excellent whitening property. Puree, made from ripe berries, is applied to the skin for 15-20 minutes, after which it is removed with warm water.
- Sweet Soda Mask. Put this paste of baking soda with sugar (1 tablespoon of each), diluted with warm water, on the clean dry skin for 10-15 minutes. As a result, the skin will become softer, dark spots will brighten. The intensity of work of the sebaceous glands will be slightly decreased.
- Aloe Juice Mask. Mix two tablespoons of Aloe Vera juice with oil solution of vitamins A and E. Mix the resulting mixture with natural honey (one teaspoon is enough). Grind the ingredients together and put them on the pre-cleansed steamed face. Apply the mask for half an hour. Rinse the mask with warm water without the use of soap. Important: the mask should only be applied to steamed skin!
- Egg White Mask. The mask of whisked egg white and 2 teaspoons of lemon juice has proved to be a worthy product to remove red spots. It should be applied for 15 minutes to the spots or all over the face.
- Tomato Mask. Tomato pulp effectively removes the post-acne spots. The recipe of the mask is quite simple: rub the flesh of one medium-sized tomato with a tablespoon of starch. Apply the mixture evenly and leave for no longer than 5 minutes, after which rinse your face with water carefully. Apply the mask after washing your face twice a day. The result will appear after the sixth application, i.e. three days later. You can completely get rid of pigmented spots within a month if you use this method regularly. There are no states of the body, which make it impossible to use this product, it has no side effects. Hypersensitivity to the components may be the only contraindication.
- Cucumber Mask. This is another way to whiten your skin at home. To prepare the mask, grind a small cucumber in a meat grinder. Before grinding, clean it from the peel. Add the juice of half a lemon into the resulting mixture, mix the ingredients. Apply the mixture on your skin after the preliminary washing twice a day. It is enough to keep the mask for three minutes, then wash it off and apply a nourishing cream on your face.
Essential Oils for Post-Acne
Along with pleasant floral scent, most essential oils have properties which refresh the skin and have a whitening effect, which help to remove the post-acne red spots.
- Lavender Oil & Tea Tree Oil. Prepare a solution of 1 teaspoon of a base oil (peach and rosehip extracts, or olive oil). Add several drops of lavender oil or tea tree oil. Treat the damaged skin with the resulting solution. The procedure should be performed every two hours. To achieve the maximum whitening effect, add a few drops of lemon juice into the solution with essential oils. Lemon juice has high bleaching properties as any acid does. It is important to monitor the reaction of the skin to this mixture. In the case of itching, flaking, or redness of the skin, avoid adding lemon. Lavender oil and tea tree oil goes well with cypress, lavender, clove, and sage oils, which can also be added to the solution.
- Rosemary Oil. It is an effective remedy for people, suffering from various skin diseases, including post-acne scarring. Rosemary makes the skin surface smooth and even, eliminating the effects of acne. Treat the skin with a solution of a few drops of rosemary oil with rosehip oil.
- Celandine Oil. This product removes everything unnecessary on the skin, it makes your body clean. Apply the oil to the damaged area and leave for 10 minutes. Then remove the excess with a cotton pad. Celandine oil can not only treat post-acne scars but also save you from psoriasis.
- Sea Buckthorn Oil. It has astringent and healing effects. It should be slightly warmed before being applied. Then apply the warm oil to your skin. You will see the positive effects 2 days later.
- Almond Oil. It contains vitamin E and promotes the growth and renewal of skin cells. We recommend you to apply the cotton pad, soaked in this oil, to the affected area for 15 — 20 minutes.
Recipes of Scrubs
Before making homemade scrubs, select an abrasive component, i.e. the basis for the scrub that will remove the keratoderma (thickening of the skin).
Below, you will see a table, it includes the products that contain abrasive components of varying hardness and textures. All of these components have different effects on the epidermis (in addition to the pore cleansing), but the result is the same — skin cleansing and eliminating the consequences of acne.
|Orange peels||stimulates the growth of collagen, improves the elasticity of the dermis, rejuvenates the face|
|Crushed pits||gently exfoliates, restores the skin color, nourishes and moisturizes|
|Ground coffee||tones the skin, reduces fatigue, regulates blood circulation, renews the cells|
|Soda||antibacterial properties and improves the color of the dermis|
|Salt||strong antibacterial effect, exfoliates the pores|
|Sugar||softens the dermis, improves its elasticity|
|Almond||stimulates the growth of collagen, moisturizes and nourishes the skin|
|Cosmetic clay||increases blood flow, tightens the pores, smoothes the surface|
|Rice||gently cleanses, moisturizes, smoothes wrinkles|
|Honey||moisturizes and rejuvenates the face, anti-inflammatory effect|
|Oatmeal||softens, moisturizes, removes dirt and bacteria|
In addition to the abrasive, the scrub mixture includes the basis (various nutritional, softening and moisturizing additives).
Here are the indications for facial scrubbing:
- Clean and steam your face before the procedure.
- Scrub the problem areas stronger.
- Massage the skin with smooth circular motions.
- Wash off the scrub remnants with contrasting water temperatures.
- To finish, apply a nourishing cream on the epidermis.
Important: If you have open, festering pimples + closely spaced vessels, or infectious skin diseases, postpone the scrubs, first receive medical treatment.
In general, it is the best option to prepare the scrub at home, because all of its components will be natural, without chemicals and harmful allergic additives.
We offer the best recipes of scrubs for all skin types.
Dry & Sensitive
This skin type can also have acne. It needs gentle, delicate treatment. Homemade scrubs for acne should have a soft nutrient basis and work with the epidermis with extreme caution. These procedures should be performed no more than twice per month.
Oat Nourishing Scrub
- Grapes: 6 berries
- Ground oatmeal flakes: 3 g
Crush the grapes, mix them with the cereal. Scrub the skin for 3 minutes, and then leave the mixture on your face for 10 minutes.
Honey Soothing Scrub
- Oatmeal: 20 ml
- Milk: 1 tsp.
- Honey: 5 ml
Add other components to the warm porridge. Treat your face for 3 minutes; leave the mixture for another 5 minutes.
Oily & Combined
The skin with strong structure will withstand more aggressive impact. To make a scrub for acne of this type of the skin, you need to use harder abrasive particles. Scrub the skin every week.
Sugar Nourishing Scrub
- Cane sugar: 25 g
- Milk: 1 tbsp.
Dissolve sugar in milk, but not completely. The grains should be apparent. Massage the face for 4 minutes, and then leave the mixture on for a further 7 minutes.
Lemon Whitening Scrub
- Salt: 1 tsp.
- Freshly squeezed lemon juice: 5 ml
Mix the ingredients. Work with the problem areas for 5 minutes. Then leave the mixture on the face for a quarter of an hour.
Recipes of Home Tonics and Lotions
Home tonics for skin lightening and removing scars also remove the excess oil from the skin, prone to acne, clean the face and provide the skin with vitamins. Apply the tonic in the evening before going to bed and in the morning after you cleanse your skin, and in a few days, you will see the effect desired.
Rules for the use of lotions and tonics:
- The basis can be both water and alcohol. For the first one, take clean bottled water. These tonics should be stored in the refrigerator for no more than two days. For the second one, rubbing alcohol is perfect, so the shelf life of these tonics are much longer — about two weeks.
- The composition of the product may include herbs: calendula, chamomile, peppermint, fennel, etc. There may be orange peels and rose petals. Everything depends on the skin type.
- Use tonics in the morning and in the evening. Thanks to the use of these tonics, you will cope with the post-acne twice as fast.
Proven recipes of lotions and tonics:
- Tonic with Essential oils. Take a quarter of a glass of clean water; six drops of lavender essential oil; three drops of essential oil of sandalwood; four drops of essential tea tree oil. Mix the ingredients in a small spray bottle. Essential oils and water will be hardly mixed, so shake the bottle before each use. Spray the product on the cleansed face.
- Mint Tonic. Pour 2 tbsp. of the dried mint with half a liter of boiling water, bring to the boil and boil for 5-10 minutes, using a low temperature. Then filter the brew and add 2 tbsp. of calendula tincture, 1 tsp. of palm vinegar or lemon juice. This tonic will make your skin look fresh.
- Calendula Tonic. Infuse the flowers of calendula with alcohol in a ratio of 1 to 10, and then filter the tonic. You can use this tonic on a daily basis; the only exception is that if you have dry skin, do not use the tonic more than 3 times per week.
- Cucumber Lotion. It is perfect for combined and oily skin types. Chop a small fresh cucumber finely, and then pour it into a glass of alcohol. Place the mixture in a glass container and let it infuse for seven days. Filter the lotion and pour it into a small glass bottle. Use the lotion every day after washing your face with hot water.
- Grapefruit Lotion. Squeeze the juice of half a grapefruit; add a tablespoon of fresh lemon juice and a tablespoon of alcohol. Put the resulting mixture into the refrigerator and leave it for 2 days. After that, you can wipe your face 2 times a day, i.e. in the morning and in the evening.
- Green tea Lotion. Add the juice of half of the lemon into the glass of freshly brewed, but slightly cooled, green tea. Wipe your face with the resulting mixture several times a day. This lotion is good for oily skin.
- Grape Tonic. This is perfect for normal, dry and combined skin. Take any sweet grape berries, mash them well and leave for 2 hours, then squeeze the juice and pour it out. Add 1 tsp. of honey and a pinch of salt to a ½ cup of this grape juice. Mix everything and leave for another half an hour. Thereafter, the tonic is ready to use. Due to this tonic, the spots after acne will lighten quickly.
- Tulsi Tonic. To prepare this tonic, you will need a small bunch of tulsi (in your estimation) and a glass of boiling water. Cover the tulsi with boiling water and let it brew for 15-20 minutes. Then wait until the tonic cools down. That is all. The product is ready — you can put it on your face and enjoy how fast the scars from acne disappear.
You can see that there are a lot of products that will help you get rid of the effects of acne. To clean the skin and look like a million dollars, you do not have to spend money on expensive salon treatments. You can just use natural and tested recipes, i.e. scrubs, lotions, and masks, for the skin to irradiate purity and beauty again. Follow the rules for the use of domestic cosmetics, perform the procedures on a regular basis, take care of your skin and become more beautiful with each passing day!